This easy dutch oven rhubarb strawberry cobbler is easy and quick to prepare. Using biscuits in place of pie dough is a great option when time is limited because it speeds up prep time and allows you to get back to the campfire, socializing with friends and family and the activities that you love! More delicious campfire recipes to come! Most importantly, join us and post your own! We look forward to seeing your delectable fireside creations!
Ingredients For Easy Dutch Oven Rhubarb Strawberry Cobbler
- *2 pints strawberries, halved
- *3-4 stalks rhubarb, peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- juice from 2 limes or 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large refrigerated biscuits, halved like buns (*Pillsbury Grands work great)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
**Rhubarb and Strawberries can be replaced with any fruit of your choice. Experiment and find which combination you and your family like best!
- Start your campfire. You’ll need a bed of hot coals to ensure your cobbler cooks properly.
- Add the first seven ingredients to the dutch oven, and stir together to evenly coat the fruit.
- Cut butter into small chunks, and distribute along the top of the strawberry rhubarb mixture. Place biscuit halves around the top of strawberry rhubarb mixture until covered.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top of biscuits, and cover with dutch oven lid, (make sure there is a little space between the lid and the top of the biscuits to allow proper rising of the dough.) Remove some strawberries if more room is necessary.
- Place dutch oven on the hot bed of coals, making sure it is stable and stands evenly. Shovel coals onto the top of the lid to make an even thin layer. (This allows more even cooking.
- After 5 minutes, open the lid to check progress, making sure not to get coals into the dutch oven. If one side is cooking faster than another, turn the oven as necessary. Check again every 5 minutes until the fruit is bubbly and the biscuits are golden brown..
Serve each biscuit with a spoonful of fruit topping. Be careful…will be very hot.
Prep Time: Approx 15 Mins
Cook Time: Approx 15 Mins ( depends a lot on the intensity of your coals)